Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rhodes Ponders Tough Decision


Matt Rhodes-6'4 Senior Westerville North

Although he does not have a big statewide reputation, Matt Rhodes, a 6’4 senior shooting guard at Westerville North High School is known as a sharp shooter extraordinaire by most central Ohio basketball fans. As Rhodes prepares to enter his senior season he is trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on D-II offers from Walsh, Notre Dame College and Ohio Valley, or roll the dice and hold out for a D-I offer during the season. Rhodes indicated that he is also receiving interest from other D-II programs such as Lake Erie, Lincoln Memorial and West Liberty.

Though Rhodes’ game has long been about knocking down kick out treys, he has continued to develop his game to the point where is now proficient in shooting off the bounce, hitting mid range shots, and taking guys of the dribble and finishing. By most accounts, Rhodes has the size and skill to play low D-I ball, but he understands the risks of passing on a sure thing right now. “Coaches [college] want an early decision,” said Rhodes. “Some people want me to sign now and some people want me to sign late [to wait for D-I offers]. I think I can play D-I,” continued Rhodes.

Luscious Jones, Rhodes’ Hidden Gems AAU coach, knows Rhodes’ game as well as anyone. “I think Matt is a MAC player. Matt is receiving interest from BG [Bowling Green] and low D-I programs,” said Jones. Offensively, I think Matt Rhodes is a MAC player. On defense, he is NAIA. Matt can score on anybody,” said Jones. "Some coach will have to love Matt’s offense enough to put up with his defense,” Jones added.

Right now, Rhodes is torn between Walsh and Notre Dame, “I love Coach Young, and the campus is amazing. You know they [Walsh] just built a new arena,” offered Rhodes. I also really like Notre Dame. The coach [Kevin Bille] is not afraid to play freshmen,” Rhodes said. In terms of the upcoming high school season, Rhodes is very optimistic about Westerville North’s chances to go deep. "I think we will be very, very successful this year. It should be us [North] and Northland as tops in the Central District,” said Rhodes. “I really think we can win a state title Rhodes said.” Good luck to Rhodes and his family as he makes one of the biggest decisions of his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment