Saturday, June 19, 2010

Gahanna Lincoln Wins Day-One Championship At OSU Team Camp

Fifteen teams participated in the first day of the 2010 Ohio State Team Camp and at the end of the day, the Gahanna Lincoln Lions were crowned champions. This year's format was a bit different than in years past, as all 15 teams were placed in a championship bracket and played until they lost. The teams that participated in day-one included: Toledo St. Johns, Columbus Whetstone, Broad Ripple (IN), Westerville North, Chillicothe, Watkins Memorial, Gahanna Lincoln, Mt. Vernon (IN), Garfield Heights, Pickerington North, Massilon Jackson, Bellefontaine, Upper Arlington, Africentric, and Huber Heights Wayne. Canton Timken was supposed to round out the 16-team field but they were a no show.

On their trek to the championship game, Gahanna defeated Mt. Vernon (IN), Chillicothe, Toledo St. Johns and Huber Heights Wayne. In the Mt. Vernon game, the much quicker and more athletic Lions got out to a quick start, before entering half time up 28-16. At one point in the second half, Gahanna was up as much as 26 points. The final score was 62-31. In game #2 on the main floor of Value City Arena, Gahanna destroyed Chillicothe 87-48. In that game, Stevie Taylor's game-high 23 points was the difference. Also playing well for Gahanna were Trey Ware, a transfer from Reynoldsburg, and sophomore Aaron Jackson. Chillicothe's Malik London's primary contribution included 6 blocked shots. Game #3 pitted Gahanna against Toledo St. Johns, a team who had beaten the Lions by 12 points a week earlier at a shootout in Toledo (without Taylor or Ware). Although Toledo raced to an early lead, the Lions were able to close the lead to four points by halftime (22-26). Gahanna tied the game at 35 midway through the second half and took the lead for the first time with 2 minutes left in the contest. Gahanna went on to win 50-43. Stevie Taylor led all scorers for Gahanna, while Cheatum Norrils led St. Johns.

The championship game featured a rematch from last season, as Gahanna sought to duplicate the success they had against Wayne in a holiday tournament last December. With added motivation from last season's loss, Wayne got out of the gates quickly and posted a double digit lead at one point in the first half. However, Gahanna made a late run to close the halftime lead to 30-27. The Lions opened the second half with much more energy and took the lead (33-32) with 16 minutes left in the second half. Gahanna would never relinquish the lead and went on to claim the 66-60 win. For Wayne, Travis Trice got hot from beyond the arc, hitting 6 treys, and dropping a game-high 32 points, while Marcus Crider added 15 points. Gahanna was paced by Stevie Taylor's 13 points.

Wayne's path to the championship game included wins over Africentric, Upper Arlington (40-45) and Pickerington North (48-50). It was never really a contest against Arficentric, as Huber Heights led early and was ahead 40-18 by the time I left at halftime. It was evident very early in the game that Wayne was too talented and too deep for an over matched Nubians squad. It was also obvious that Wayne excels in transition and has multiple guys who can run and score. In game two, Wayne found themselves in a dog fight with Upper Arlington, and in fact, was trailing at halftime 24-19. To start the second half, Wayne turned up the defensive pressure and took the lead for the final time with 13 minutes left in the game. UA's Brian Sullivan was the high man with 13 points. For Wayne, Marcus Crider finished with 10 points while Travis Trice added 7 points. In the semi-final game against Pickerington North (this game got a little chippy early), Wayne trailed for most of the game. Tied at 48 with 6 seconds left in the game, Travis Trice received an inbounded pass and drove the length of the floor for a layup and the 50-48 win. To see pictures of day one of the event, visit the Buckeye Prep Facebook Fan Page.

1 comment:

  1. when do the new rankings come out?