Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Buckeye Prep Top 30 Rising 8th Graders (2017)




Below is a link to my initial list of Ohio’s top 30 rising 8th graders. As a disclaimer, the list represents “one man’s opinion,” of what I have seen with my own eyes, or have heard from multiple, credible sources. As you can imagine, it is extremely difficult to establish with 100% certainty who the “actual” top 30 players are in the state. I will fully acknowledge that at this early stage, some kids have been missed, and there are a number of names that should/could be on a list like the one posted below. However, for whatever reason, the player(s) have not been adequately evaluated enough during their school season, the AAU trail or at individual showcases and camps. I had almost 40 names on my initial list, but was forced to make some tough decisions and whittle it down. If your you, your child/player's name is not on the list, no disrespect or slight is intended, it's about what I see and hear.

For the most part, I have personally seen 95% percent of the listed players on multiple occasions and in multiple settings over the past couple of years. For the other roughly 5%, I have relied on input from coaches who coach teams in the class, independent observers, and other people who I trust to provide accurate and credible information. If you, your son, your player, your friend, ect is not listed, there may be multiple reasons (i.e. talent level, inadequate exposure, bad timing, inconsistent performance at competitive events, etc).

This list is still under development and will be updated as players emerge on the scene. My hope is to have a much more accurate list by the end of the player’s 8th grade year. That final 8th grade list is the most valuable in terms of exposure to the people that matter (i.e., college coaches, national scouts, event directors, etc). Therefore, I have another 12 months to put together a more accurate list before it is widely distributed national.  The younger lists are good starting points.

If rankings matter to you (for many people they do not matter at this age), then I would suggest a couple of things. Number one, get in the gym and work on your game daily. Most top players work very hard to develop their game and it often shows when it’s time to performer. Find a team that can both develop you as a player and person, and a team that will put you in situations where your talent can be seen. It’s not necessarily the top team(s) in the state; it’s the right team or situation for YOU! If you are on a team that does not compete in the top tournaments, or does play in those types of tournaments but is knocked out by Saturday afternoon; guess what; you are probably not going to be seen. Even if you are on a less than competitive team, there are ways to gain individual exposure. It may cost you time, money and a lot of driving, but you know what they say; “there's no free lunch.”

Whether rankings at the 7th grade matter at all is often debatable, and really varies from person-to-person. You and/or your parents have to determine to what extent rankings matter to you. They did for the Taylors, and we drove all around the country for years and spent a lot of time and money in the process. At the end of the day, it was money well spent, and I would not change a thing! I hate to be so wordy, but many years of doing this (rankings) have taught me what types of reaction I can expect when I put this information out there for public consumption. I’m ok with the debate that will follow, I will simply ask you to keep it civil, and make sure your child uses the list as motivation to make a list; remain on a list; or move up on a list. By channeling their energy in a positive direction, rankings do serve a purpose.

Now back to the class of 2017. Right now, the class is nowhere near as top heavy or deep as the class of 2016. If you have not followed Ohio’s 8th graders, you cannot possibly appreciate how good that class truly is, and how many quality players there are in the class. In addition, I’m not sure there is a consensus #1 player, or even a top ten. This class is still very much emerging and undefined at this point. It is my challenge to increase the number of opportunities to see and evaluate the class. At the end of the day, the class will be defined by the number of nationally competitive teams and the level of individual talent.

The number of elite guards and bigs seem to be down in this class, and after about the first 10-15 players, the talent level appears to drop off a bit. I hope that more of the top players rise to the surface, but every class is different, and depends on the teams the players play for, the coaches who advise them, the adults who handle them and to what extent they embrace some of my previous suggestions. In most cases, if I see a talented player, I write about them, take their picture and try to obtain information about them. If you have read about a kid on this website you know this to be true. Ok, enjoy the list, debate the list, but keep your child/player in the gym!!

Buckeye Prep Top Thirty 7th Graders

74 comments:

  1. This is probably the most accurate list thus far. All the players you listed would have been in my top thirty as well. Over the years, I have watched these boys play and their game went to a whole different level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the list as well. The list is a good start. The advice given by Rob was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Accurate list but its missing about 3 players from the Cincy lakers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Missing a few from the Cincy Friars also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The list is very important to the boys. It validates all their hard work. Every single list from here on out will be subjective to that particular writer. I do personally agree with Rob in the importance of the boys being seen and playing well in big games.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are these in order from #1 player in ohio to #30 or are they random

    ReplyDelete
  7. You better look for Dakota Prichard (dak) he had 22 vs next level, 18 vs ac murphy, then 15 vs ohio hoopstiers/ccc
    Team lima kings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. next Levels startes only played half the game. They were up 30 and in control of the game when the bench came in.

      Delete
    2. Next Level has about 3 or 4 other kids that could and probably should be on that list. Ryan Profitt and Ben Harris are definitely top 30. Ryan Markoff, Sam Lash, and Branden Lilley aren't far behind if not top 30.

      Delete
    3. Neat website, but the young men who aren't on the list need to be reminded about it being one persons opinion. Personally, I watched a lot of these kids play and Buckeye prep top 30 has approximately 4 kids in my top 30. The Cincinnati area is out of range. The best players in the Cincinnati area are sam martin, cj flemming, cam naber, luke rudy, ryan batte, and jayden sayles. As you can see, three of my top 30 don't get a mention in this website

      Delete
    4. That's because there not even close to top 30 & Flemming , Sayles & Batte' are!

      Delete
    5. Actually Sayles and Rudy are 29 and 30 on my site. Batte and Naber are top 10 and Flemming 14.

      Delete
  8. I like Dak! He played well at my showcase. If I would have gone with 40 kids, he would have made the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Him (dak) play His passing,shooting, and driving are great. Now he just needs work on the d but his d is improving.

      Delete
  9. Houston King? All-Ohio Red

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7th grade Ohio Varsity also has good players!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What All 7th grade tourney u goin to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you give us a preview of the top 30 6th grade and incoming 7th graders to be Rob

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm working on a top 100 6th grade as we speak, then start on a top 30 list. I probably have a decent idea with about 20 of the top 30, but I have to see a lot more kids in this class. Can anybody post some ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Antwuan Johnson (D.Metro)
    Jordan Coovert (AOP)
    Terry Durham (AOP)
    Jackson SEE (AOP)
    Dashawn Parker (D.Nets)
    James Shanklin (D.Pilots)
    Seth Goodson ( Pickerton)
    Cain Cooper (AOP)
    Ty Wiley (O. Hoopsters)

    This is a few to name Rob

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good list. I have some of those names as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rob, have you gotten a chance to check out Ohio Varsity 7th grade team? They have a couple nice players as well. Some that were mentioned in your list before, but are no longer listed?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure I have seen them. If the players were ever on the top 100 list, I doubt I would have deleted them. What are their names? Where will they being playing the rest of the summer. Finally, they always have the opportunity to attend the fall elite showcase, play aginst the best, and proove their talent!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like Ben Harris, in fact, he may have been one of the last players out. I have not seen him in a while, so that may have been part of the reason. Would love to see those guys in September!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tony Boddie from Showtime???? He was knocking down everything when we played Showtime. I have not seen a better shooter in 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i would have to agree with the person above. Boddie can definitely stroke the ball. He is also very confident in what he does well and that is shoot. He was not at all shy when he missed a couple. Pure shooter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Boddie was on my list until a few days before I released it. at the end of the day, I had to cut the list down to a little over 30 players, so I had to make some hard decisions on some kids. Because I had not seen him play in a while, I had to go with who I had seen and who I was most comfortable with. The problem with making a list of any kind, if you add a kid, you have to delete a kid. So all of the people who have added suggestions for inclusion on the list, you would have to convince me who they should replace, and why. If I delte kid A and insert kid B, guess what, kid B's people/fans will say their guy should bo on the list. Rest assured, regardless of what Rob Taylor says, or anybody like him, the cream rises to the top in most occaisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  22. U need to put David Madison and Juan Elmore from the Ohio hoopster

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rob the Ohio Varsity players listed before were, Darius Coker (Licking Heights), Alonzo Booth, & Rodney Tucker (both Canal Winchester. As of right now I'm not sure where the next games will be, but will keep you informed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Rob are going to be at the All Ohio Purple tournament in Florence KY this Saturday It's the best in Ohio vs. The best in Kentucky some of the best 6th graders in both states

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's the plan! I hope to see some guys who can make my top 30 list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rob, list is too point guard heavy. Every position should have 5 slots.

    ReplyDelete
  27. And corey baker and David fitzgerald from the Ohio hoopster

    ReplyDelete
  28. Top 3 point guards in 7th grade, alphabetical order: Ryan Peaks, Tommy Schmock , Keegan Seban. Those 3 have stood out the most. They also play on the 3 best teams in ohio, by far. Any point guard comparisons need to start with those 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I have seen all three play and in my opinion Keegan Seban is the best. Nobody can stop him off the dribble and he has a nice shot. However Schmock is a close 2nd.

      Delete
    2. Ryan peaks is like ai just get the croud into it. He now top 3 he like 7 or 8 dak prichard is a better pg than he is.

      Delete
  29. I agree with some of the above comments. I personally have seen Keegan and Schmock play, those 2 are the best point guards in the state. Schmock controls the game better than anyone out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen all three also and played against Saben three times. He rarely turns the ball over, has great speed and handles, can shoot and pass and is very unselfish. I think he is hands down the best point guard. Their offense is geared for everyone to touch the ball and if he gets rid of the ball he never gets it back. His passing game doesn't show sometimes because their #5 is slow and won't run the court. The big white kid plays very hard and is a btr post than 5.

      Delete
    2. Great comments. I think a game everyone would love to see is Next Level vs Murphy Knights. Not only might it settle who is the best team in the state, it could very well settle who is the best point guard in the state.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  31. What about big white kid for DB Hoops Martin #40 think last name Koch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koch has a good game. Seems to be getting better and better.

      Delete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  33. To be honest with you, I don'r really know what you are trying to say. If you are saying he should be on the list, then he is. If you are saying he should not be on the list, then I, and most fans disagree with you. Are you saying I commented on his speed and motor? Again, not sure of your complaint! Please explain, your statements seem to be conflicting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derrick Rayford Jr. from toledo ohio, Now living in Columbus ohio, in my opinion is one of the most skilled pure point guard eighth graders in the country! remember i told you.

      Delete
  34. Does anyone know what 7th grade teams are going to Nationals?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rob, I think you do a remarkable job with this entire venture. To be so deticated to young people is awesome. I bet your wife will attest that it is hard work. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks! We all have a passion, something that allows us to be creative and to do something we love. Having had 2 sons come up though the game from the age of 7, and seeing them both play college ball (FREE!!), I can't imagine how I could just walk away from the game. Buckeye Prep keeps be invested in the game, and my goal is to help kids and family through the process as well. People may not agree with what I write, but I hope they see the intent, and respect the sincere effort!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hey Rob I would like if you would have a showcase with the top 15players from the upper Ohio region and the southern Ohio region grades6 thru 11 invites only. Just a thought Rob

    ReplyDelete
  38. Rob theres a kid from the go hard bulldogs 7th grade he is a flatout scorer 5'11 gaurd. Take a look at him at the grand nationals in cleveland the 22nd. Def should see all the things he brings to the table. Rebounding Scores Assists Defense! You might would put him on the list if you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  39. To our followers; I don't publish negative things about players on this website, and I'm not going to allow others to do it either. You can take shots at me (I’m a big boy), but I will delete any comments I perceive as negative towards others. Buckeye Prep is about uplifting, motivating, assisting and exposing, positively. If you want to bash kids, teams, coaches, ect,, there is already a website that you can use for that purpose. NOT HERE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well spoken Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jayden Sayles from Kings should be on here.He plays for cincy lakers. Hes a beast inside and improving post player

    ReplyDelete
  42. jayden sayles isn't that good

    ReplyDelete
  43. Tommy Grogan from King Of The Court , * one of the best defenders I've seen throughout Ohio .

    ReplyDelete
  44. Take a look at me this year Warrensville middle school Tavon berkley PG just trying to get my name Up ill show you some stuff this upcoming season

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and i also play for The Show AAU Team cleveland oh #10

      Delete
  45. brelynn hampton-bey 15 Pts 6 steals at Springfield Jr high toledo Ohio. high school? aau team vipers elite

    ReplyDelete
  46. Rob what do you think about tommy groan

    ReplyDelete
  47. Rob what do you think about tommy grogan

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hey rob have you heard about this kid Chris Jackson 8th grader 5'11 wing guard they say he's the real deal puttin up around 22pts a game shooting 88% from the line for Dayton Dumbar, they went 14-1 and won the city. Anyone knows about him?

    ReplyDelete
  49. I have not heard about him, but if he's that good, I love to see him at my elite showcase on March 3rd! have him contact me ASAP! 614-203-2929 or taylorobe@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. better watch dustin burkhart hes gonna crack it best player ive seen around the akron area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is i have coached up against him a couple times he will just pick you apart

      Delete
  51. dashawn strong-mosley. played eighth grade ball for pleasant run in cincinnati lead them to there first ever SWOC title. this kid is big, fast, can slam it down hard, jumps out the gym, and has one of the smoothest strokes i've ever seen on a kid. i heard he's attending elder high school in the gcl this year. future studd..

    ReplyDelete
  52. Rob- I think you need to venture down to Cincy. The ball in northern ohio is very weak!

    ReplyDelete